A door entry system is used to allow you to talk to visitors at your premises without the need for you to open the door to them.
Door entry system are available in video or in audio.
Video or Audio Door Entry System
A video entry system has a monitor built onto the handset in the building that allows the image of your visitors to be viewed. This can be very useful as you can see monitor how many people you are about to give access to your premises. You can also read the ID badges of the callers by asking them to hold them to the camer
Why should I have a door entry system installed?
A door entry system can prevent unwanted visitors from coming into the common stair. If a potential intruder attempts to enter your home, the first barrier they will face is the communal door.
Police have reported that recent crime trends show that common stair doors are only forced open during 1% of house break-ins within tenements. If you door is secure, it is less likely that your stair will be vandalised or attract anti-social behaviour.
Using a door entry system correctly
To get the most from a door entry system, you must make sure that:
- The door is closed and secured at all times
- The door is never left wedged open or the lock on the snib
- You do not let callers into the common stair unless you know who they are, or are expecting them
- You do not let callers in for other residents
- You check the identity of anyone claiming to be on official business, including the Police, before you let them into your home. You can check with the organisation they claim to work for using a number from the telephone book